background

Friday, August 04, 2006

Ready for Battle

Here's what I know: Satan loves to mess with our thoughts. He has no problem placing a thought in our brains and enjoying watching us take that thought and blow it all out of proportion and twist it and turn it and turn it from a molehill to a mountain. At that point --it becomes a stronghold. He has an "in". And we've allowed him to do it.

Here's what else I know: God is more powerful than Satan. When we are Christians, we can be victorious over the enemy. Victory is ours for the taking. It's a choice. We have all we need to fight and win the battle. We're told to "put on" and "take up" the whole armor of God:

"Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

"Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints...." Ephesians 6:10-18


We can choose to not put on God's armor. That would mean we are ill-prepared to fight the battles that we encounter each day. If we're not prepared for battle --all we can do is run....and if you read the above passage again, you will see that the Lord affords no protection for our backs....running away isn't an option if we want to be victorious Christians.

Today --I choose to fight. I choose to stand. Every thought which the enemy plants in my brain, I will take captive. He loses. I choose to win!

2 comments:

Pat said...

The last few days, I've been thinking about the same verse. If we're not suited up, we can't win the battle..I want to be fully guarded and ready! Hal used to do a demonstration of this with his fire department turn out gear. He'd speak at schools etc. and with each piece of his fire gear, boots, helmet, and so on he'd read each passage. The kids really got a great visual that way and it stayed with them. It was a powerful ministry! I always picture him in my mind when I read that passage. He had his gigantic feed shod with fireman boots...the preparation of peace and then he'd put each piece of gear on a child and relate it all to them. I wonder how many children still remember Firefighter Hal and his Ready for Battle demonstration?!

Sara said...

This is one of my all time favorite passages. It's one I need to remind myself of. We are warriors!! Thanks Deb.