background

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Rosa Parks

Here's something awesome....in today's newspaper I read that Rosa Parks is joining a select few, including presidents and war heroes, accorded a public viewing the the Capitol Rotunda. On Sunday, Rosa Parks will become the first woman to lie in honor in the vast circular room under the Capitol dome. The House agreed to voice vote Friday that the body of Rosa Parks will lie in honor in the Rotunda on Sunday and Monday so that the citizens of the United States may pay their last respects to this great American.
Rosa Parks contributed greatly to this nation and to the African Americans when in 1955 she refused to give up her bus seat to a white man. This decision led to her arrest and to the subsequent 381-day boycott of the city's bus system that helped initiate the modern civil rights movement.
I applaud you, Rosa Parks --and join countless Americans in saying, "Thank you" for your act of bravery and courage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here I am in Washington DC and I did NOT have the presence of mind to go and pay tribute to Rosa Parks after I arrived. [I'm here this week for a conference] I got here on Sunday late afternoon, and I could've gone by the Capitol, but I didn't think of it until too late. UGH!!! MY brain is just SO small! Rosa Parks was indeed a great American. Her one peaceful, simple act changed the world. Now she too is dancing with our Savior. No pain, no prejudice.

Our world still has a LONG way to go... It may not ever get there before our Savior returns. As long as matters are in the hands of those who will not even acknowledge His Holiness and Majesty, it may not ever improve.

Thanks for the tribute to Rosa Parks.

Ciao for now.