background

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Remedies


Earlier today, I got the hiccups.
I RARELY get the hiccups.
Like - maybe - twice a year.
Oh, there's the occasional 'hic' after taking a swig of carbonated beverage. But it's only one 'hic'.

Today --I had the real thing.
After shoving two trisket crackers in my mouth and then chewing while bending over to unload the dishwasher...I felt it begin....the uncomfortable feeling of not being able to swallow properly --and then it happened. The hiccup. They continued for about a minute. That's it.

I then thought about my high school Spanish teacher who once told our class that she used to get hiccups for weeks and sometimes MONTHS at a time! How horrible that would be! I mean, how would you ever get any sleep if you had hiccups for months at a time?!

Another friend I know always gets the hiccups after eating beans. Most people get gas (pardon the expression). She gets the hiccups. What's (hicc)UP with that?!

Coincidentally, just five minutes ago, while checking a date in my engagement calendar, I noted that the 'fun fact to know and tell' for the day was this:

To cure hiccups, bite your thumbs and then blow on them.

Right.
I thought I had heard everything!!

What is your favorite remedy for curing the hiccups?!

Hard and honest work earns a good night's sleep, Whether supper is beans or steak. But a rich man's belly gives him insomnia.
- Ecclesiastes 5:12
- The Message Bible

3 comments:

Pat said...

I had hiccups today too! Right after I ate a rice cake and a cup of tea. It's hard to answer the phone at work while your hiccuping! They are so annoying and even a little painful. I have no remedy, and I'm not biting my thumbs and blowing on them either. I think you made that up. That sounds like a Deb-ism if I ever heard one. Yep that's a Deb-ism.

Mrs. Mac said...

OK ... since your not shy about posting pictures inside your mouth, how 'bout a picture of you biting and blowing on your thumbs ... of course, Brillo Man would have to take the picture :) Hope the new fangled remedy works and the hiccups are gone for good.

KayMac said...

Hiccups are no fun. Someone once told me to bend over and try and drink water from a glass, which is impossible to do. I think they were just setting me up. Gosh, I hope there are no pics of that!