background

Monday, January 05, 2009

Witnessing

My style of witnessing today is much different than it once was. Today, sharing the love of Jesus is simply sharing my life. Telling them about the wonderful things that God has done. All the little blessings....i.e....standing in the ticket line at Splash Lagoon and having someone offer us free tickets thereby saving us $140. When someone heard the story and said, "Wow, you're lucky!", my response was, "nope, luck had nothing to do with it --it was divine intervention." God's favor. There are many small miracles throughout my day that I look at as His favor and am quick to point that out whenever I'm conversing with anyone about God's love.


Years ago, I would be quick to point out to someone that they're going to hell to suffer fire and brimstone if they didn't get saved. I often went into a big dissertation about how we are living in the last days and we needed to get saved before we miss the rapture. And how if one wasn't saved and one did miss the rapture that you could have another chance but things on this earth were going to be really, really bad and if you were smart, you would get saved so you would avoid all of that. I'm sure all of that came from my Pentecostal upbringing. We were big on scare tactics.

At this point in my life, I much prefer love tactics. Someone once said that people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. Sharing the love of God in practical ways. Loving people into the Kingdom. That's the secret to evangelism. Preaching hellfire and brimstone may work for some, but I think for most it just turns them away from God rather than pointing them to the Savior.

Love. Just reach out and love. Be an example. I often share the love of God and sometimes I do it with words....


For our gospel did not come to you in word only,
but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit
and in much assurance,
as you know what kind of men we were
among you for your sake.
1 Thessalonians 1:5

4 comments:

Pat said...

Beautifully said. Living an example of what a Christian is says far more then words...and is often harder, especially when daily stresses enter in. That's when you get to explain about grace and mercy!

Trish said...

The greatest of these is love...I
say love wins everytime!

Char said...

That's called maturity. I can identify SO closely with what you said, but could not have articulated it so beautifully. I think the closer we draw to Jesus, the further we get from the 'scare tactic' methodology of witnessing.

Margie said...

Someone once said that people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care...

That was me... I said that.