background

Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Day of Fun and Frolic

Today we spent some time searching for caches in the woods. The first cache led us to an old foundation of a building which we learned housed POWS during WWII. Very interesting history...just a few miles from where we live! It took us longer than it should have due to some downed trees over which we had to maneuver! And Bentley's lease kept getting caught on every stray bramble and branch.

Bentley went along with us because the second cache for which we searched was a cache for DOGS ONLY! He had to be there - and we needed photographic evidence that he was there in order for us to get credit for the find. After 1/2 mile hike along the trail, Team WEPAdillo prevailed and it was Olivia who first spied the cache! Bentley was excited to trade a tennis ball for a rubber chew toy.
After a much-needed rest sitting on an old log - we began our 1/2 mile hike back to the van. ugh.

Needless to say it was very slow going for me with my two legs not working well. Good thing I had my hiking shoes and my two hiking sticks for support! But I took my time and rested a lot along the way. I'm proud to say that after much time had passed I finally finished! Yahoo! Honestly, I can say that there's NO way I would have gone on a one mile hike through the woods today had it not been for geocaching. It motivates me to get out there and move - which is a good thing!

After our caching adventure, we headed for the nearest shoreline: Beach #2 at Shenango Lake. Olivia donned her suit and jumped right in the water. I stayed back in the van to rest some more after our long hike. Brillo Man and Bentley took off to supervise Olivia. After my rest, I walked down to the water and there was Brillo Man - lying in the water - in his clothes! I didn't bring our suits --should have! He didn't care - he was cooling off anyway! Too bad I didn't bring the camera with me for that shot!

Dinner was Dairy Queen - popcorn shrimp, onion rings, cole slaw and a Girl Scout Thin Mint Blizzard. (I get an "A" for nutruition! ahem. --after all, there were vegetables in the cole slaw!!)

I am now officially exhausted and should sleep well tonight!

2 comments:

Trish said...

Sounds like the perfect day and the perfect supper!!!!

Char said...

Great job! I know that was a hard day for you. My, how Olivia and Bentley have grown!!!!